If you like to make your own pizzas, you can get really creative or they can be a great way to get rid of leftovers in your fridge. I was at my sister’s once with a crowd of family members and decided to have a pizza night. Why order out when we can clean up some leftovers? We ended up with some really tasty pizzas: one had chilli, another had roasted chicken and grilled veggies, yet another has steak and blue cheese. Why limit yourself to the basic pizzas that you see on the menu of your favourite pizza shop?
I admit that I am not one of your plain pepperoni and cheese kind of pizza eaters (surprise, surprise) One of the best pizzas I ever had was a few years ago in Italy. It had a pesto sauce on the crust with fresh ricotta, buffalo mozzarella, torn basil leaves and zucchini blossoms. Truth be told, it probably tasted so amazing because I was eating it on a patio in Italy but Europeans certainly know how to make the minimum number of fresh ingredients taste incredible. That is a true art. One that I sometimes try to experiment with.
I have always liked to try different combinations on my pizza, so the idea popped into my head of a Fish Taco inspired pizza when I was snacking on some guacamole the other night. Why not!?
This pizza dough recipe has been popping up a LOT all over Facebook and I don’t know who the originator really is (if anyone know, please drop me a line and I’ll give them the credit for it) but it did turn out to be pretty tasty. I think I’ll add some flavour to it the next time I make it though. Maybe some dried oregano or Herbes de Provence. It’s chewy, light tasting and with only 3 ingredients, you can’t go wrong.
I haven’t included amounts for the pizza toppings because it all depends on how much you like to put on your pizza, how thick you like to spread the sauce, how much cheese you like to put on top, etc… quantities are totally up to you.
470 ml (2 cups) yogurt
470 ml (2 cups) self rising dough
10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
Chipotle Cream Sauce
120 ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
10 ml (2 tblsp) mayo
juice of 1/2 lime + zest
5 ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
5 ml (1 tsp) chill powder
2.5 ml (1/4 tsp) cayenne powder
OR a really easy spicy cream sauce would be to mix some of your favourite chipotle or spicy pre-made sauce with some non-fat sour cream or plain yogurt… who would know when you put it in a plastic squirt bottle ???
1 1/2 fillet basa/tilapia or other white fish sliced
1 small onion sliced finely
1 small orange pepper finely sliced
red pepper pesto (or your favourite salsa)
crumbled goat cheese
Instructions for the pizza dough:
1. Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix until they form a ball.
2. Turn out onto floured surface and knead only until mixture comes together into a smooth ball. If dough is too sticky, lightly dust with flour while you are kneading until dough is no longer sticky.
3. Lightly oil a bowl and put dough in, cover with cling wrap, place a towel over the bowl and leave in a warm place. Dough will not double in size but will get a bit fluffy
Prepare the other ingredients for your pizza:
1. Cut up your veggies and set aside.
2. Make the guacamole and set aside.
3. Heat oven to 200º C (400º F), make sure to put your pizza stone in while you are heating up the oven.
4. Divide ball into 2 portions. Put one portion back into the bowl and cover. Place second ball onto parchment paper and roll out or shape dough to fit one of your cookie sheets.
5. Bake dough for 20 minutes, remove from oven and let cool. Dough will will get puffy and then collapse as it cools. If you have baked the dough on the pizza stone, remove the parchment paper from the pizza dough after it has cooled. (NOTE: The pictures below shows the parchment still on when I put the pizza in the oven on my pizza stone because I made my first pizza without pre-baking the dough. This dough is much better when you pre-bake it.)
6. Spread red pepper pesto on dough (or spread some of your favourite salsa).
7. Add peppers, onions, goat cheese and fish.
8. Bake at 200º C (400º F) for 20 minutes. Turn oven up to Broil and broil for 5-10 minutes. If you like mozzarella, or some other cheese, on you pizza as well as goat cheese, add it before you turn up your oven to broil. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
9. Remove from oven and let rest a few minutes before adding the chipotle cream sauce, guacamole and shredded lettuce